The Newfoundland and Labrador Housing and Homelessness Network (NLHHN) is a group of community-based service providers, municipal, provincial and federal departments and agencies, and representatives of persons at risk of homelessness, who are committed to working collaboratively on issues related to homelessness and housing.
The Newfoundland and Labrador Housing and Homelessness Network will work collaboratively and creatively to address homelessness in all its aspects, to shape the response to homelessness in Newfoundland and Labrador, and to directly influence government policy and programs.
Membership in the Housing and Homelessness Network is open to any organization or individual who is committed to working on the Housing and Homelessness Network’s goals. This can include (but is not necessarily limited to) representatives of persons who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, community-based agencies, representatives of municipal, provincial and federal agencies with responsibility for housing, income support, health care, justice services, or education, churches, other Networks / working groups that deal with persons at risk of homelessness, the business community and academic researchers.
What do we do?
The Housing and Homelessness Network enables participants to share insights and ideas, identify service needs, and develop effective strategies to address the continuum of shelter, supportive housing and other support needs for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Collaborate in planning and advocacy efforts.
- Create shared understanding between members of current services regarding the kind of programs which lead to effective, long-term and holistic approaches to address the underlying causes of homelessness.
- Develop and enhance housing options for vulnerable populations.
- Ensure choice, and safe options, suited to the needs of different individuals and families.
- Enhance public education and community awareness.
- Use the power of the Housing and Homelessness Network to strengthen individual members’ ability to function effectively.
- Create a place in the Housing and Homelessness Network for all stakeholders, including people who have experienced homelessness or are at risk of homelessness.
- Shape social policy regarding housing and homelessness issues.